How do Judges judge Automotive models?
- Mold lines should be removed. Any door, hood, trunk,
fender or other lines visible on real cars should be visible.
Any flash should be removed.
- Modifications to the body should appear as a natural
part of the vehicle.
- Clear parts should be free from fogging, glue marks
- All wheels should be aligned with each other when
viewed from the top or the side. They should also contact the
ground in a prototypical manner.
- No glue marks should be visible.
- Exhaust pipes should be drilled out.
- The wheel should have valve stems.
- Lenses like
side marker lights and taillights should be represented by colored tint
rather then by opaque paint.
- Chrome, represented by paint, aluminum or foil,
should have sharp edges and consistent shine.
- If appropriate, the tires should be lettered.
- The dashboard and instruments should be detailed.
- The doors should have locks plates and stems, where
appropriate. Seats should have adjustment levers,
- The door handles and other interior details should be
- Details such as brake lines, fuel lines and parking
brake cables should be added where appropriate.
- Engine details, such as ignition wiring, electrical
wiring for the headlights, starter and battery. Throttle linkage
and water hoses should be added.
- Any working parts should look real and operate
Painting and Finishing
paint finish should have no “orange peel” or “egg shell” effect to it. It
should be free of runs/sags, fingerprints,
dust and fibers. The model should have a
uniform level of glossiness to the finish.
- If decals are used, the decals film should not be
readily visible. Decals need not have the same level of glossiness
as the rest of
- The interior should be painted in a manner that looks
like fabric (flat) or vinyl/leather (semi-gloss).
- If the model has carpet in the interior, it should de
differentiated from the seat and door panels by a different color,
shade or texture.
- Insulation on the inside of the hood should be
represented by paint or by material.
- Appropriate decals should be added to the engine
components like the battery and the oil filter