||I.P.M.S. Roscoe Turner Chapter
April 2017 Newsletter
March Meeting Recap:
20 members were present and Laura Leffler volunteered as interpreter and as acting referee.
We had three guests: Mr. Tony Landis, Mr. Brian Stansbury, and Mr. Josh Trapp. Welcome!
The following are a number of points of issues which were discussed at an informal "After Action Review" of the March
We survived another Contest.
- The Chapter was shy judges for this past March Contest. We need to have a workable solution for judging. It was
suggested that if you are a judge, stay till the end of judging. When you finished judging your categories help out
until all the judging is finished.
- Control of the Hall prior to and during Judging:
- Signs at the contest hall showing hall is closed and shows time of the show hall hours.
- There were issues with items in wrong categories. Items that are entered for the contest need to be checked for accuracy
and in compliance with the category entered.
One option is to have the Head Judges remain in the room to insure the categories are sorted properly.
- One suggestion was to have a practice judging session prior to the contest.
- Club Display Table was kind of sparse and needs more members kits on it for public viewing.
- Take photos of 1, 2, 3 awardees for a record of the winners.
- Photograph the Best Of kits and special awardees.
- We need to add a dead line that the raffle prizes need to be collected by a certain time.
- Several vendors said they would be willing for having seminars on model related subjects
which would draw patronage.
- Ongoing matter of people buying collections early in the contest.
The Chapters Show Repair Case is in need of updating.
We need to establish dates for 2018 Contest as early as possible. A usual issue is we have to work within Raymond Park
Middle Schools Event Schedule.
Update Club Shirts. We need to sort out an affordable solution, probably up to 3 and 4X.
We received a lot of good complements from the vendors and others after the show.
Ken gave away magazines and and sold Tamiya Putty as well, for a couple of bucks each.
We need to collect the numbers of contest entrants for the last ten years.
(this has been taken care of)
We need to add more info to the web site and Facebook Page: Photos, articles, reviews, ETC.
Show and Tell
It is with great and sincere apologies that the editor announces that due to a technical error or an insufferable operator
error, there will be no photographs of models for the February meeting.
However, use your visualization camera and the palette of your imagination, and so I present:
- Mark Hiott: 1/72 Bandai Star Wars X-Wing Fighter.
- David Leffler: Bandai Gundam Gusion, a well built Mecha.
- Steve Bacon: Panzer VK4502 King Tiger WIP with Porsche turret added foil and weathering.
- Jim Philhower: T34 experimental tank from the 1940s OOB except for Jerry Cans. Kit is hand painted and weathered,
made by TAKOM in 1/35th scale.
Bronco M114,155mm from a Vietnam Era Firebase in 1/35th scale.
AFV Club 105mm M102 OOB assembly in 1/35th scale.
Iranian Chinese made Type 59-1 130mm howitzer made by Trumpeter in 1/35th scale.
Iraqi Army, Chinese Type 69 tank, OOB made by TAKOM in 1/35th scale.
- Eric Fox: TAKOM Chinese T59 battle tank in 1/35th scale had challenges building the kit. Interchanged items with
Tamiya T55 weathered with pigments and used Tamiya T55 tracks. Paint came from the MIG set for Chinese vehicles.
- Dana Griffith: T90MBU Black Eagle Modelcollect OOB in 1/72nd scale Jagdpanther III,Scratchbuilt 1/72 scale.
Bear Riders, Reaper Minis 28mm
Meeting Wrap Up and Alibis:
Our next meeting is at the Life Church Family Center, 9101 W 10th Street, April 21, 2017, starting at 7:00 PM